4.11.13

Standing on nothing

Another speedpainting I did back in July. 
Oh deer, you don't seem to be standing on very solid ground!

Limitations:
- no color picking
- only use one hard brush
- no lineart, sketching and such; apply color directly


  • Messy erasing on the edges looks interesting
  • The background is very rough and painterly but does look like forest. A bit
  • I managed to keep myself from touching up the background
  • I actually didn't use the picker at all this time around!
  • I can see I'd do much better now - this was from last July

  • I couldn't keep myself from touching up the damn deer
  • Speaking of which, it looks stiff and the neck is especially off
  • The deer looks really bad exactly where I went back with a smaller brush to "fix it"...
  • ...and it doesn't seem to be stading on the ground. The problem was that bunch of branches/stray that cover its feet: in the picture it's actually a lot closer to the viewer and out of focus, so the deer's shadow wasn't visible and I couldn't really deliver a sense of distance
  •  The colors aren't fresh and bright as they're supposed to


Experience gained: X points!
- Work work work on freshness and brightness of colors, perhaps even pushing values and saturation a bit
- Do NOT zoom in and go small brush on speedpainting like these - I need to work with large solid blotches of color and get better at being expressive with few strokes 
- Do NOT go for details if the base stucture is wrong 

No comments:

Post a Comment