2.11.13

Need a hand?

 Hands are evil and since my last exam I realized more than ever I lack some real knowledge of their structure. So in July I gathered some reference pics and produced some quick practice sketches.


Staedtler fineliner and Copic markers - I was coming from a week or more without grabbing a pencil (or pen tablet) and my strokes were ugly and unconfident and hairy ugh.

I used my trusty fineliner and the fat brush tip of a black Tombo marker on this one.
Let's see:


Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

  • Fat black marker and fineliner are great for quick sketching
  • I improved a lot by making more and more of these - the next batch looks a lot better!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

  • Fingers often look off
  • Not drawing for a while is bad. It shows
  •  This first batch of marker & fineliner sketches look horrible. The black areas are unrefined and uneffective
  • Those parallel fine lines as midtones look awful  

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us 

Experience gained: 4 points!
- I've been having issues on this. I need to draw hands more often and study muscles and bones properly
- Tombo and fineliner are great mediums I'll definitely use again to get more confident on large shadow areas
- I'd like my inked stuff to look good without those outlines that are exposed to light. In other words, I'd like to find a solution to make subjects look believable by just inking shadows and a little hint of midtones, without the need for outlines
- I need a solution for midtones. I can't figure out how to reproduce them properly when using inks yet



No comments:

Post a Comment