1.11.13

Brush test

Back in August I started working on some more personal custom Brushes. I was looking for something with texture, shape dynamics and a "dry brush strokes" feel. Or something chalky.

Here's a random furry creature I made while testing the brush. I named it Beebo. The brush, not the beast.
Analysis:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

  •  This Beebo brush looks okay. Not too texturized, still reliable for sketching and blocking out flat colors, with a hint of silky texture. I'm using it a lot
  • Beebo feels especially good for scribbling and hair tufts
  • The values are decent
  • I like the result of cutting out parts of the creature in a nonconventional way
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

  • Beebo needs some more work
  • As this was not character design practice, the creaure turned out random and uninspired... but unlike other times where I just draw without planning, I haven't created any particularly interesting body parts/markings 
  • Anatomy and perspective fail here and there

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Experience gained: 3 points!
- Painting something as a custom brush test instead of just scribbling around is a good opportunity to produce and practice more
- Sketches emerging from a brush test SHOULD be checked and fixed if anatomy and perspective suck, no matter how little planning there was behind :D
- I'll experiment more on weird cuts and framing

No comments:

Post a Comment