17.11.13

Cutout

I found the reference for this on Pinterest by typing "prostitute". Whut.
Limitations: just one brush, no color picker (not so daunting when you have a greyscale ref :P), no preliminary skecth.
Let see here - at some point I used the cutout filter on the refence: it simplifies the image by reducing the number of colors and making more or less complex adjacent patches out of them. You have control on edge fidelty and color complexity. I looked for something that could help me envision the values in definite areas.


  • I used the filter midway during the exercise and my patches of grey were quite close to what happened to the reference picture after the cutout. I wasn't expecting that!
  • I don't mind a rectangular, minimal background like that - I feel I'm getting a little more used to this kind of thing

  • I don't like the face. There's something wrong with the values and the patches of grey don't really deliver a good sense of  volume


Experience gained: 2 points!
- I need to practice more on painting faces and getting the volumes down in a few strokes. Speedpainting of faces from reference pics with a time limit should work - perhaps I could make 6 per day, 5 minutes each?
- The cutout filter is a valuable tool. I'll definitely use it again to get a better grasp on synthesis

No comments:

Post a Comment