5.12.13

Watercolor week

An apple a day...
I've decided to start a simple training program to practice on the kind of stuff I need to improve on: one exercise from reference per day, for a week. I had a fun Watercolor Week and I plan to start a Clouds Week soon. 
Clouds are nasty. 

Speedsketching at the library



  • I'm proud I was brave enough to try my hand at interiors. Though the results are debatable
  • I'm getting a better handle on working with fast blotches of color and leaving white paper areas
  • Gestures aren't too stiff

  • Stuff looks sloppy without that black pen outline 
  • Something went wrong with the perspective down there. It's weird because I was very careful when sketching the scene - I must have relaxed too much and messed it up during the painting phase


Experience gained: 4 points!
- I MUST do this again, especially with interiors. The amount of skill and confidence gained when painting from life is extremely valuable. I need to think about color and light conditions on the spot and note things down for future reference!
- When geometric perspective is involved, do NOT paint until the sketch makes sense
- I'll mix in less water and more pigment. I need to manage strong, saturated color to make my sketches really expressive and bright and, most of all, not in need of a pen outline :v
- Drawing with a friend helps so much. It's incredible: I was always scared to show my stuff to others, but having someone to work with extensively helps exorcizing, in a way. I feel brave and careless and it's so new to me

    2 comments:

    1. Ciao Giulia, tanti complimenti sei davvero brava :)!

      ReplyDelete
    2. Grazie mille! Significa molto - ho visto i tuoi lavori e sono meravigliosi!
      Farò il possibile per migliorare ancora tanto :)

      ReplyDelete